Saturday, June 9, 2012

Foodie Fun

I am really loving getting Bountiful Baskets every other week.  Lots of fresh fruit and veggies....and many times I don't know what the heck the produce is. (Dear Hubby, is it a small silver lining knowing that I am force feeding your children fruits and veggies instead of you?)

Regular Basket June 9th, 2012 

-pineapple
-some type of mexican mangos
-apples
-apricots
-plums
-honeydew melon
-lettuce
-celery
-acron squash
-kale (I already baked them into Kale chips...yum!)
-tomatoes
-cucumber
-bananas


Asian Veggie Add On Pack 

-bok choy
-celery
-green onions
-large white onion
-garlic clove
-chinese cabbage
-snow peas
-???? ginger root
-???? basil
-???? water chestnuts

***Update: Thanks to Brenda, the question marked food has been identified!****

My Aunt tells me she gives the produce a vinegar bath and her goods lasts forever...well, maybe not forever, but it extends the life of the fruit and veggies dramatically.

Produce Vinegar Bath
-1 part white vinegar
-3 parts water
-rinse produce

How easy peasy is that?  I'm totally trying it, and I will let you know how it works for me.

Alright, help me out with recipes to try!  My goal with every basket is to try new things and let nothing go to waste.  Also look closely at the Asian veggies bundle, tell me what the heck some of that stuff is! (bonus points for how to cook it)


2 comments:

  1. The bag is basil. And the little brown things are water chestnuts. And the root is ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thank you! I feel stirfry night coming soon!

      Delete