Monday, November 19, 2012

Football is Like Life...


Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority. ~ Vince Lombardi

Uncle N was helping me teach the boys football last night.  Well he was actually just attempting to play catch with them. I viewed it as an important lesson though.  Sunday was the FIRST football game I have actually been able to watch this season, so far the boys don't share my love of watching the game.  They prefer the Bubble Guppies, Super Why, and Bob the Builder to the Green Bay Packers.  I'm beginning to wonder if they are really even mine. I jumped on the opportunity for someone else making football seem fun.  The rundown: catching skills leave a lot to be desired, aim is improving...attention span is not.
We can't run.  We can't pass.  We can't stop the run.  We can't stop the pass.  We can't kick.  Other than that, we're just not a very good football team right now. ~ Bruce Coslet
The Toddler has raised my hopes and then dashed my dreams of raising a future quarterback.  I tried to teach him the diamond method to prepare for catching, but this lead to him concentrating too hard on the shape his fingers were making as opposed to keeping his eyes on the ball. We'll call that a failed lesson, but one we will come back to at a later time. His aim started to improve and he actually came close to a spiral a few times.  However, he became too busy to continue playing catch, as he decided to have a tea party and then skip through the living room watering his imaginary flower garden.  The game was interrupted a few times for us all to have tea and smell the flowers.  I love his imagination, in fact normally I encourage it...I really do...but how do tea and flowers trump football?

The Big D was more into it, but would get sidetracked after throwing the ball.  He kept catching sight of and then subsequently remembering all the cool tractors at Grandma's house. I would direct his focus back by handing him the football and he would happily throw it. Then I  stood behind him and put his arms out and help him catch the ball.  He would clap and cheer for himself, excitement is good!  Left on his own though,  the arms remained outstretched and never moved until after the ball smacked him in the face and dropped to the ground.  After a while he became a bit lazy and just sat on my lap.  I will give him a break though, he got back up to throw the ball again...he is a bit clumsy and also got sacked a few times.

This all means one thing....footballs for Christmas!


If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? ~ Vince Lombardi



No comments:

Post a Comment