Friday, January 18, 2013

Writings on the Wall


"The hand writing on the wall" (or "the handwriting on the wall" or "the writing is on the wall" or "Mene Mene"), is an idiom for "imminent doom or misfortune" and for "the future is predetermined".
The expression originates from the book of Daniel Chapter 5 from the handwriting on the wall that was witnessed at a banquet hosted by king Belshazzar. As those at the feast profaned the sacred vessels pillaged from the Jerusalem Temple, a disembodied hand appeared and wrote on the palace wall the words, "Mene, Mene, Tekel, u-Pharsin." The prophet Daniel was summoned and interpreted this message as the imminent end for the Babylonian kingdom. That night, Belshazzar was killed and the Persians sacked the capital city.[1]
source: wikipedia

How literal do I take this? The acceptable penalty for writing on the wall is death? Sounds somewhat reasonable to me...not so sure about the pillaging.

A couple nights ago two friends came over armed with two motorized snow shovels and cleared out my driveway and sidewalks.  I stepped out to thank them, the Toddler (sans pants) grabbed his snowboots and wanted to come too.  I said no, so he opened and closed the door over and over until he discovered for himself it really was too cold. I had made supper and it was on the table already.  The Big D was buckled in his high chair during all of this.  When I came back inside, the Toddler was sitting nicely and eating at the table as well.

Toddler: It reawy cold outside, so I stay inside and eat like a big boy
Me:  Goodjob honey, you are eating so nice.
Big D: Sippy? Drink! Drink!
Me: I'll go grab your sippy, is it in your room?
Big D: ya
Toddler: He said ya it is in his woom (room)
Me: &$*%#($&%^!(@#$*%^!@*#$%(!$@#&%^(@#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: WHERE IS THE MARKER!
Toddler: Well, I put it away
Me:  Where did you put it?
Toddler: Well, I just put it away.
Me: Where did you put the marker?
Toddler: (pointing somewhere) I put there
Me: Where did you put it?
Toddler: (pointing somewhere) there 
Me: I don't see it 
Toddler: Well, I guess its just lost then.
Big D: All done! Down! Down!
At this point I am already fuming, but I unbuckle the baby, clean him up, and let him loose.  Did a quick search through the bathroom cupboard and came up short in my search for rubbing alcohol (I have heard multiple times that gets marker off).  Skunked, couldn't find any and I was out of magic eraser,  my go-to-magical-cleaning-tool.

When I walk back into the kitchen the Big D is armed with the sharpie and has drawn on the refrigerator and our Daddy's Deployment Wall, including a good chunk of effort of the map I bought.

Why can a 19 month old find a marker and I cant? How the heck did they get the marker in the first place? Didn't I put it away in the wall mail sorter? Why have I not figured out how to childproof my own home yet? Mysteries of the world caliber questions.

More screaming and yelling, more NOOOOOO!  The Big D startles, drops the cap of the marker and giggles. Then proceeds to turn around and try to scribble on me.  I disarmed my attacker and did some more yelling. Mothering 101: when I doubt - yell!







I went back to the boys room and noticed the wooden toy bench also bore graffiti.  Then I wrote a quick blip on Facebook for advice on cleaning marker off various surfaces...walking by the purple crayon on the hallway that has been there for about a week.  Before all the advice came pouring in I was scouring the house for cleaners and found a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  Good news, it took the marker completely off the vinyl dry erase map and off the kitchen wall and fridge.  Easy Peasy.

I have no logical reason why crayon bothers me less than marker.

The Bad News: the boys' room was a different story.  Some came of the wooden bench, but most parts were extremely resistant and faded was the best I could do.  As I scrubbed on the wall paint was coming off along with the marker, revealing the color underneath.  I have a mural in the room, and it was taking off the layers.  I gave up at the point that looking from the door the marks are faded enough not to be too horribly noticeable.  Up close the marks are obvious.  I will be repainting/touching up.



No comments:

Post a Comment