Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Halloween 2017

This year for Halloween I wanted to try and make costumes instead of buy costumes.  That almost immediately went out the window when Bear spied an Elsa dress.  I decided that the dress would also serve for several years as an everyday dress up piece and with 2 little sisters it would likely be used until it falls apart.  So I bought her costume and had to listen to her beg to wear it every single day and try to convince me that "It is Halloween today!".  Rookie mistake the cape is coated and covered and dripping glitter. The day after Halloween my house looked like Sugar Plum Fairy had a wild party and ice skated over every surface.  Dress up will have to wait until the basement is finished. Her sweet Aunt did crochet her an awesome and very loved Elsa hat, which should be fun all winter. The hat is the must have accessory of the year, tied in place with a jeweled tiara, and is allowed to be worn whenever she likes.  She wore it for 3 straight days only taking it off for bathing purposes and that my friend took some convincing.


The twinks I decided I wanted to make chickens and even spray painted cardboard red in order to turn their double stroller into a chicken coop.  Snow and wind changed my mind on that point.  I also conducted an informal Facebook poll to help me decide between the chicken possibilities.  Ruffle Romper or Fluffy Ballerina Tutu.  One of each crossed my mind, but the tutu was too easy to wiggle out of.  I traced a baby glove on red felt and hot glued it on last years winter hats, layered the rompers over a long sleeved onsie and yellow leggings.  I forgot the dish gloves to cover feet, but as they were mainly strapped in car seats and only hauled out to see grandmas they weren't really missed.



The Big D couldn't make up his mind.  At one point after discovering his cousin Conman had once dressed up as a lion that was the costume of choice.  Alas, I found it is next to impossible to find brown sweatpants or hoodies for boys.  Toddlers and babies, but no boys.  My sewing skills are next to non-existent so I rely on hot glue and preferable second hand clothes or something that can be used again.  I was practicing sugar skull makeup and he decided he wanted to be a skeleton.  I took an old, almost too small black long sleeve shirt, and a clearance pair of black leggings and cut out white felt bones and hot glued them on.  I also used face paint to make a skull.  He was happy, everything was delightfully off, and I decided it made for homemade charm.





Bug couldn't decided what he wanted to be and most of his ideas were beyond my skill set.  He noticed a scythe when I was browsing ideas and has a love of "death" so I ordered him a grim reaper costume from Amazon. With luck it will be used for future Halloweens as well.

So I ended up with about half homemade, and half purchased costumes.  Glitter aside the purchases should be able to be enjoyed for dress up and future holidays.  I was going to do sugar skull and be a skeleton myself, but Bear said she preferred my "Mommy face" better and the twinks couldn't stop giggling every time they saw me, so I was just the chauffeur.



We tried downtown trunk or treating, grandmas, a few houses around our block and the assisted living home and called it good enough.  The kids did well, I gained 3 pounds from their unguarded candy stash. Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment