Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Twas' the Day Before Thanksgiving

Twas the day before Thanksgiving and all through the house, 
Children were lounging with nary a care. 
Most hadn't even brushed or combed out the snarls from their hair.
School work was canceled, 
Mom's pleas to pick up ignored. 
Would someone please at least let the dog out the door?
The kitchen was gearing up for pies, rolls, and dough. 
Parents were thankful for mild weather with no snow.
Outside trailed the kidlets, 
woof barked the dog, 
Ma flour'd the table, rolling out pastries with her mind in a fog.
The prime rib was thawing, a reminder set to season.
Mom going through her menu, much larger than reason.
No Turkey here, we ranchers in Montana prefer beef!
What can I make today? How long to reheat? 
If I cook enough now maybe I won't need to do it again 'til next week!

2020 marked the first year I cooked everything for Thanksgiving. As a college student I was known to make a turkey sandwich, or benefited from a friend dropping a plate off at my work. As a single working woman, I came home for the big extended family Thanksgiving. Gradually bringing more than napkins and bags of chips.

Since being married and raising a family I have only missed one Thanksgiving, due to some sort of plague, and my little fam brought me home a plate of fixings. Because my MIL made them.

This year the decision was made to stay home. So I got to cook for the 8 of us. The menu was supposed to include my Grandma's rolls, but I didn't get them made. I was also supposed to have roasted brussel sprouts, but the Hubby vetoed them.

I tried my hand at pie dough with a new recipe. Roughly 8-10 years ago I gave up and just bought premade. I haven't decided what I will do going forward. The pie crusts turned out flaky and delicious...I don't like rolling it out and struggle getting a remotely round shape.

Prime Rib
Mashed potatoes (I think this recipe is why the Hubby proposed) 
Pine Nut cous cous
Grape Broccoli salad (a recipe I have tweaked to perfection) 
7 layer salad with hard boiled eggs added
Homemade Cranberry Sauce (Pioneer Woman Recipe)
Beehive rolls (local grocery store)
Relish tray: sweet peppers, carrots, celery, dill pickles, okra pickles, olive, grape tomatoes w/french onion dip
Crackers & Chips 
Pecan Pie
Mini pumpkin pies
Mini cherry pies
Sparkling Grape Juice
Barefoot Riesling 

The littles and I enjoyed leftover mini pies for breakfast. No soggy bottoms!

No comments:

Post a Comment