Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Birthday Baking

I am scheming and planning Bear's birthday cake.  I am hoping to get back to making the kid's birthday cakes and moving to type of cake over only decor/theme.  Bear decided right away she wanted a chocolate cake. Easy enough.  She had been asking for a princess cake, briefly a unicorn cake and has settled on mermaid.  I have found I actually enjoy a little baking and am hoping to discover I enjoy decorating.  I need a creative outlet.

I am planning one layer to look like a sandy beach.  Sand made of toasted coconut, sugar, and crushed graham crackers mixed together.  I bought small silicone molds to make some seashells and a mermaid tail.  I am also planning on making and clam shell cookies (Nilla wafers, frosting, sixlet pearl). Thank you Pinterest.

The other layer will be water.  I decided to attempt frosting ruffles in several shades of blue. Mainly because I was googling the frosting tips I own and #104 makes ruffles and reminds me of waves.  If I cant pull it off, then that layer will be a frosting smear layer and I can throw on some small candy pearls to look like bubbles and top it off with a chocolate mermaid tail.  Attempting Swiss Meringue Butter cream once my eggs whites and butter get to room temperature. Though that may be tomorrow's project. I have been doing one step at a time during nap time.

In the freezer I have a homemade chocolate cake with more steps than I have ever taken in making a cake.  In the oven is a from the box strawberry cake, just baking away and a boxed Devils Food Cake on the counter waiting to go in.  I don't trust how my attempt at layering will go, so I figured it is a good idea to have backup/extras.


Sand layer on top or wave layer?


No comments:

Post a Comment