Sunday, June 24, 2018

Not a Sports Mom in the Making

Can I confess something? I hate TBall and possibly baseball in general. Positively unAmerican, I know.

Bear claims she likes TBall. We are hanging in because it is only twice a week for three weeks. Two more days and we are doneskis. In my mind it would be adorable to watch like when my niece played soccer in Kindergarden. Rockette kicks and a herd of adorable little people grouped together running down the field. Lots of big smiles and clapping. Everyone can kick a ball.

In TBall everyone can hit the ball...no one can catch the ball. It is painful to watch, especially my daughter who cries in front of an audience and clings to the coaches, can seem to figure out how a que works, and brings makes me question is okay to quit or do we tough it out and finish what we start? It might be that 4 is too young and next year she would have done better. She isn't quite independant enough for me to sit on the bleachers and watch, which isn't good for a mother who struggles with micromanagement and is trying to back off.

To be honest on the first day she some how thought baseball would be like ballet. She desperately wants to learn ballet. I wish they still had classes, but it isn't in the budget to drive 80+ miles for a dance class. She wanted to try something, she picked TBall. I now remember why I didnt signup her brothers for things this young. Why didnt I remember the hell that Preschool Music & Dance was when Bug was a tot? They all are their mother's children at this age and seem to panic when the number of people grow too large. How do I help them overcome something I haven't mastered in my 30s?

Baseball I am sure as a sport you can be exciting, probably when played with skill. Unfortunately you move too slowly for me, and I would likely also be the player in the outfield digging in the dirt daydreaming.

On a postive note, when she does stand and move forward in line she gets a huge smile on her face practicing the move/play/thing they are supposed to do. And she swings a bat pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment