Tuesday, June 26, 2018

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I have been enjoying my little vegetable garden. I am glad I decided to start small, it is easy to keep up on weeding and makes me so happy to see things growing. Also, the smell of tomato plants is amazing.

Tonight we will get to enjoy the first bounty from the garden, in the form of butter and romaine lettuce. Each of my 3 tomato plants has at least 10 green tomatoes growing, and I am already looking forward to BLTs.

I have a black thumb of death, with only 1-2 house plants doing ok-ish and the others suffering and slowly dieng over the span of about 5 years. Not outright plant murder, more like extended torture.  So to see plants growing and healthy green is so thrilling. I am already making notes for next years garden plot. I plan to add a small patch each year. Next year I will be incorporating fruit. Blueberry bushes and a starwberry patch. Possibly an apple tree or two, gearing up for a tiny little orchard.  The kiddos each have something they want to grow so I might let them each pick something to plant in front of their playhouse instead of flowers.

I would love to draw up a 5-6 year plan fpr the backyard. Slowly adding sections along the fence, walking paths, garden areas, firepit and sitting area, patio, ect. One side of our fenced backyard is the neighbors bright white vinyl fence, which reflects the sun and kills the lawn allowing only hardy assorted weeds to grow. I have thought of trying to plan a dry river bed with some shrubs and maybe landacaping boulders to break up some of the reflection, help with drainage (our sump pump and a gutter drains near), and just create something pretty to look at.

We bought our house 8 years ago, this month. With the plan of moving to the farm as soon as possible. I have held off doing anything. Both to save money and waiting for "my forever home projects". This year I am not going to wait. I am going to make little changes our family can enjoy, with the end goal of making things easier. (Less lawn to mow, eliminate need of the weed whacker).

No comments:

Post a Comment