Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Big D Turned 3

The Big D turned 3 in May. We had a small-ish birthday party by the lake and playground. We reserved the part of the gazebo closest to the playground. Nothing ever turns out like I envision in my mind, but overall it was fun.

I felt the genius of the plan was the kids being able to play outside and adults getting a chance to visit. My house isn't really big enough when both our families come. What I didn't think through was it was still hard to see the kids and the 15 trips to gather them up for eating, dessert, presents...everything. We had actually lost the majority of the party goers by the time we got the birthday boy situated to open presents.  However surrounded by friends and family always makes for a good time.

Baby Girl was passed around and cuddled and largely napped. The Hubby made some wonderful sloppy joes (don't let him fool you, he really can cook). The kids had fun so that is the point. The Big D love-love-loved his cake. I had an Aunt bring the grocery store a picture of Rubble from a Paw Patrol and asked them to put it on half a sheet cake.

However all the memories we made that day weren't so great. After opening presents the birthday boy fell backwards off the picnic table and landed head first onto the concrete. I got him calmed down and he was acting sleepy. I wish I would have been thinking more clearly, but I thought he was cuddly after being hurt and 3 hrs overdue for a nap. The Hubby did look at his eyes to check for concussion but it was really bright and he didn't want to open his eyes. We decided to take a drive around to look at some of the crops before going home. All three kids were asleep within minutes. We got home and the Hubby wanted to check the Big D's eyes again because he was still concerned about a concussion. I'm so dense I still thought he was just tired.  The Big D wasn't talking normal, wouldn't open his eyes, and started puking. All of the sudden I was more aware of what was really happening, he was dizzy and disorientated. He couldn't see straight which is why he kept his eyes closed. He was lethargic not sleepy. So I changed his clothes and took him to the car to go to the ER. He puked again. I went in and grabbed a towel. While we were there he seemed dizzy and just cried or curled up to sleep. Then I couldn't get him to wake up. The physician on call got him to and recommended a CT scan, was preparing me for the possibility of going to Billings for 24 hr observation. I called the Hubby and told him to get a bag ready.

My Mother-in-law was kind enough to rush in and stay with our other kids and the Hubby came to the ER to wait with us. Fortunately the Big D had a dramatic turn around. While I went with him for the CT Scan he started talking and opened his eyes, he was acting awake. By the time we got back to the room Daddy was there waiting and the Big D was acting like a 3 year old. Hiding under the bed and playing peek-a-boo with Daddy, climbing on him and chattering. Honestly it was like a light switch. The on all physician waited on the results and everything looked good, that coupled with his behavior change we were released to go home. He stopped finally stopped puking around 6pm. I woke him up every time is was up for a feeding with baby girl, and the Hubby had alarms set so he got up and checked on him in between.

The Big D's personality changed a bit, but overall he has snapped back. The Hubby noticed he isn't talking as clear as he was before, but he is still talking well for his age. He now covers his ears and doesn't like loud noises which didn't use to bother him. His appetite changed, he is no longer a bottomless pit and eats extremely slow (which isn't a bad habit). He also went through a period were he acted afraid to be around other kids other than his big brother. He hid in our house if the neighbor kids were out playing. Became really shy suddenly (which might be a phase rather than bump on the head related). The end of July and this month he has been asking to play with the neighbor kids and is seeming more like his old self. There are little things that seem off, but it could be normal changes. We talked with his Doctor at his 3 year old appointment and she said he is on track, but to call with any concerns. She also said it can take a little guy a long time to fully recover. So we are grateful for how well he is doing.

It has been 3 months since his concussion, and he still manages to hit hit his on something daily. I feel like wrapping him in bubble wrap, but the Hubby says I'm a worrier and he is a normal little boy. Maybe we could compromise and I could get him a helmet?

*sidenote: when we get our computer fixed I will add pictures to my catchup posts*

No comments:

Post a Comment