Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Big Talk


While I was getting my Christmas cards ready to send out the other night, the Toddler slipped out of bed and curled up behind me on the couch.  He was looking up at our gallery wall of pictures, feet propped up on a pillow and chattering away.  He didn't want to go to bed, he wanted to " just stay on the couch with you forever" A boy after my own heart, after your head hits the pillow hundreds of thoughts come pouring out of your mouth, and you get a little cuddly.

I decided I would work on relocating Little Mr Anti-Bedtime to his own room later.  He was being fairly still anyway, and I didn't mind listening to him so I kept working on the cards and he kept chattering away.

Toddler:  That wasn't me in your belly, that was {the Big D} 
Me: Yes, Mommy had those pictures taken for Mothers Day with you before little brother was  born. Mommy wishes she would have had pictures taken when you were still in my tummy.
Toddler:  I wasn't in your tummy! {the Big D} was naughty and crawled in and then you had to get him out....giggle,giggle....that's silly Momma isn't it? 
Me:  mmm-hmmm (half listening working on my cards) 
Toddler: I say No No baby, don't crawl in there...but he crawl down your throat and you have to get him out.
Me: (awkward pause) You were in Mommy's tummy once too, I just didn't get pictures.  
Toddler: I not in your tummy, just baby was.  I not a baby.
Toddler: I am growing bigger.  I'm getting to be such a big boy and when I grow up I will be a Mommy....but I don't want to be a Mommy.  I don't want to turn into a little tiny baby either! 
Me:  Why will you turn into a Mommy? 
Toddler:  When I grow-up I will have to become a Mommy, but, but, but I don't want to be a Mommy...and, and I don't want to be baby. I don't want to turn into a Mommy!!
Me:  How about you keep growing and stay {you}? 
Toddler:  Oh yeah!  Being {the Toddler} is much better than being a Mommy!

A few days later while we were in the kitchen  and getting supper ready.

Toddler: Look, my toes grow soo big! 
Me: Yep 
Toddler: And my head is bigger! 
Me: Yep 
Toddler:  And, and, and my eyes are bigger! 
Me: ...(the better to see you with my dear?)
Toddler: I am great big like you Mommy!
Better than the big bad wolf from Little Red Riding Hood...though Great Big isn't a description any woman wants to hear herself referenced by.  I guess I will just have to make peace with my little boy growing up.



No comments:

Post a Comment